How to win Couch to 5k

My traditional post-run "collapsed on the stairs at the end" selfie (and my Ennelle Sports bra--if ya gots the big boobies like me, this bra will be your bff! It locks the girls down like there is a riot in cell block 8!)
Listen.  I have started, stopped, finished, and quit C25k roughly 67 times over the past several years.  I now consider myself an expert.

  • My biggest success in this program has been when I combine it with leg strength stuff on non-run days.  Right now I am doing t25 (and sometimes Jillian for variety), and my legs are STRONG!  Strong legs= easier running!!

  • If you can't complete all the run segments, do it again next time, don't try and move on.  Except maybe that stupid, random 20 minute run in week 5.  Fuck that guy.

  • It doesn't matter if you take longer to finish the program than the 8 weeks.  And that 8 week thing is kinda bullshit anyway because by the end of week 6, it's just warm-up/ruuuuuuuuuunnnnnn/cool-down, no more intervals.

BUT

I talked with the trainer I hired last winter, and he was adamant that it shouldn't really take any more than 2 weeks or so to move up and that if you can't, then you need to work more on leg strength on off days, and also be less of a baby.

***Some days will inexplicably SUUUUUUUCK and you won't even be able to get through what you got through just fine last time.  Shit happens.  When it's around.... that time.... my legs sometimes feel like they are made of lead and I am running through jello.

The biggie for me that had to click is...  IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!!!  IT'S EXERCISE!!  If you wait to move up a step until the run segments are "easy" ....you will never finish.  Look at the runners you see out and about every day.  They are breathing heavy, sweating, and sometimes look like they want to die.  It's called running.


And now... some of the things that make me a happy running lady.....
Buddy Pouch  This thing RULES!!  It folds over your pants and magnets together, no arm-band for weird tans or chafing, or general annoyingness. Plus there is room for other stuff like a car/house key, credit card, money, condom, (hey... I don't know what you do when you run.... #nojudgementzone)

Motorola S305 headphones.  I've tried em all, people. And I always come back to these babies.  Bluetooth, great sound, don't fall out of my ears, and they are cheap.  Yes, we own 3 pairs because I have an irrational fear they will stop making them. (My oldest pair is over 5 years old and still going strong)  Disclaimer: they do get sweaty and gross, but that just makes me feel like a badass)
Nike Pegasus Zoom.  Sneakers.  ALSO have tried 'em all... Brook, adidas, reebok.... even the fancy Mizunos that supposedly teach you better form.  Then I bought these a Marden's for cheap just for gyming-- not running, and they turned out to be the most comfortable running shoes I have ever owned.  I always thought that I needed stability shoes because I am a fatty, but I recently learned that they were not good for my gait and encouraged ankle rolling.  Ain't NOBODY got time for that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ISO home for my 50 extra pounds

The small stuff

Snags and Moms and Babies and Love