Body acceptance AKA Santa

So dusty.....  Time to clean it up and face reality. 
Today I read a post on Emily Nolan's blog about her decision to lose weight.  This decision is huge because she is a large part of the 'body-acceptance-love-the-skin-you're-in' movement.  I don't know her entire life history or anything, but I think she is a plus-sized model.  (Ok... maybe my mind just has her grouped in with Ashley Graham, Danika Brysha and assume she is also a model? ...but I DO know that she was doing something with Lululemon at some point, so I think I am right. ---hey...there is no research team here at Constant Commentary!)  The backlash on these 'not size 0' ladies when they lose weight is absolutely disgusting, but.... I get it.  I would never SAY the horrible things that I see people say on their insta-blog-tweet-fbs, but I get it.


As I read her post today, I was annoyed at her talking about her focus on the numbers on the scale and at the same time trying to say that we should not focus on the numbers on the scale.  I was honestly just annoyed in general, so I sat with that for awhile.  WHY was I annoyed? Who the fuck am I to be annoyed?  I think it boils down to 2 things:

 1. These ladies are our champions in a world that tells us every day that we don't look like we should, so when they jump ship, we feel betrayed.

2. If they are losing weight, then they never really bought into the fact that you can be pretty AND fat, so we cannot buy into it either.  AND If #2 is the truth, we cannot rest easy (aka LAZY) in just saying "I love my curves!" and burying our heads in the sand about our unhealthy bodies.  And THAT ONE, my friends, stings a bit!


Is there really such a thing as body acceptance when you are fat?  I don't believe there is.  It's a myth.  Like Santa.  Something us chubby girls love to believe in, but when Christmas Eve comes along, we all know that fat bastard ain't fittin' down no chimney.

Sometimes you see things exactly when you need to.  I've been going pretty hard at fitness and eating right.  Since I was anti-scale, I have been relying on the fit of my clothes and how I feel, which is GREAT, however, without those black-and-white numbers, it's easy to get down on yourself when you are "in a mood" and can't see/feel those intangible improvements.  So after reading and thinking today, I dug out and dusted off my scale and learned that I've lost 15 pounds!  ...and THAT, folks, is no myth!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ISO home for my 50 extra pounds

The small stuff

Snags and Moms and Babies and Love