Fat Girl Yoga

I have taken yoga classes in the past.  In full disclosure I have also been pretty much kicked out of yoga classes in the past thanks to my BFF Nicole and my inability to take things seriously and not laugh our asses off at our yoga ineptness.

Last week I started taking a class at my gym called BodyFlow.   Here's the "official" description...

"BODYFLOW™ is the Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates workout that builds flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. Controlled breathing, concentration and a carefully structured series of stretches, moves and poses to music create a holistic workout that brings the body into a state of harmony and balance."

But this class is different... and these days... so am I!

Oh I am still inept.  And grossly uncoordinated.  And I have NO BALANCE WHATSOEVER!  And I still get laughing about it.  But this class is in a dark room so my weeble-wobble self feels almost invisible.  AND it has loud 'non-yogaish' music, so my laughter is not as out-of-place or as disruptive ;-)  Also there are some poses that I just flat out CAN'T DO because even though I have the flexibility and strength to do them, my fat belly gets in the way. And while that sucks.... I don't get all bummed out about it because I am a work in progress!  And progress is happening!

I noticed a difference in myself the first time I took the class.  At the end of every yoga class there is quiet meditation time.  I used to DREAD THAT SHIT!  Like for real.  Actually sometimes I would even pretend that I had someplace to race off to after class so I "had" to  leave before quiet time started.  If I didn't.... it sounded something like this in my head.  "WTF am I doing here?  OMG this is so stupid.  What is this music?  What should I have for lunch?  I could be driving home right now instead of this waste of time.  I wonder where that girl got that yoga mat?  Are we done yet?  Does everyone else have their eyes closed?......."

But guess what!?  I can DO IT NOW!  I can RELAX and BREATHE!  I can even clear my mind for a little while (ok maybe like 10 seconds, but that is PROGRESS, PEOPLE!)  And today I actually LOOKED FORWARD to quiet meditation time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ISO home for my 50 extra pounds

The small stuff

RLS and stuff